Sunday, January 30, 2011

The orange ones come first....

So today I had some unexpected time to myself with nothing to do.  I think the last time that has happened was sometime before Max.  Anyways I thought I would get a jump on making some of Max's baby food.  I trekked up to the grocery store and bought organic carrots, butternut squash, sweet potato's, zucchini, pea's and green beans.  My total at the register was only $14!  Today I decided to make the orange one's.  We have been told that you give orange vegetables first.  If I was a stay at home mom I would just make a small batch at a time and keep it for 3 days in the fridge and feed Max it fresh, but with me working 4 days a week that will be impossible.  So I am making a medium sized batch and freezing in 1oz size portions.  That way we can just pull out a cube at a time.

I got a great baby food cookbook for Christmas that I am using to help me get started. There are several ways to cook the food- steam, boil, bake, microwave.  Today I decided to use a few different ways to see which way was easier for me.  I ended up liking all methods but the steaming was definitely the easiest!

I diced up the sweet potato's and put them in the steamer. 



 I sliced the squash in half(cleaning out the seeds) and placed face down in a baking dish with a little water and put in the oven. 


For the carrots I cleaned and sliced up and put in a blow of water in the microwave.  The carrots were done first so off the the food processor they went.  I added a little breast milk to help it thin to the consistency I wanted.  After the carrots were done in the processor I put them in a ice cube tray with a lid.  After cooling, into the freezer.


All together I made 32 food servings for Max for probably only $7.  I haven't even looked at the prices of baby food int he stores but I am guessing this is a lot cheaper! Not only cheaper but I know exactly what is in Max's baby food.

No comments:

Post a Comment