Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Our hospital stay

I am slowly but steadily trying to keep the blog updated. It's much harder to do now that Max is here :)

As previously blogged Max got here at 9:35 Tuesday night(Aug 3rd). We didn't come home from the hospital till Sat afternoon. We were there forever, plus add in I was there Mon night also. Everything went well in the hospital, I was up and moving(still quite sore though), breastfeeding going well, Max doing great and we were both going to be discharged on Friday. Friday morning when the pediatrician came in I mentioned to him that I thought Max looked a tad orange, he didn't really think so but was going to check his bilirubin levels anyways. About 45 minutes later the Dr called and said he was very surprised but Max did have jaundice and was going to be put under the lights. The next hour was crazy! The nursery nurse(who we did not like) came in to set up the lights and give all these rules. Basically the only time he could be out from under the lights was when he was eating and even then a light blanket had to be wrapped around him(which made feeding him really hard) and she wanted his light goggles to stay on him. Then the lactation lady came in and wanted me to start pumping after I fed Max and argued with the nursery nurse about the goggles. Then my nurse came in to do discharge teaching. So in a matter of an hour with all the teaching, Max crying from being tied down to the bili light blanket, and Scott and I unable to do anything to make him happy I had a break down. Those post pregnancy hormones sure will get you fast. Scott had to be a bit stern to the nursery nurse but Max ended up in the nursery under the lights and just came to the room to eat. That worked much better and I was able to collect myself. Sat afternoon Max's levels were good so we got to come home!!!

Max did not like his car seat and after about 15 minutes of driving he calmed down some but we did have to pull over to pull out a trusty medical glove for me to put on so Max would suck on my pinkie. That's the only way we had found to calm him down. We made it home safe and sound.






No comments:

Post a Comment